|Title:||The alerter service is running|
The alerter service is running. This service allows
NT users to send pop-ups messages to each others.
This service can be abused by an attacker who can
trick valid users into doing some actions that may
harm their accounts or your network (social
Solution : Disable this service.
Risk factor : Low
How to disable this service under NT 4 :
- open the 'Services' control panel
- select the 'Alerter' service, and click 'Stop'
- click on 'Startup...' and change to radio button of the
field 'Startup Type' from 'Automatic' to 'Disabled'
Under Windows 2000 :
- open the 'Administration tools' control panel
- open the 'Services' item in it
- double click on the 'Alerter' service
- click on 'stop'
- change the drop-down menu value from the field 'Startup Type'
from 'Automatic' to 'Disabled'
Common Vulnerability Exposure (CVE) ID: CVE-1999-0630|
|Copyright||This script is Copyright (C) 2000 Renaud Deraison|
|This is only one of 72306 vulnerability tests in our test suite. Find out more about running a complete security audit.|
To run a free test of this vulnerability against your system, register below.