-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Red Hat Security Advisory
Synopsis: Low: fence security, bug fix, and enhancement update
Advisory ID: RHSA-2011:0266-01
Product: Red Hat Cluster Suite
Advisory URL: https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2011-0266.html
Issue date: 2011-02-16
CVE Names: CVE-2008-4192 CVE-2008-4579
An updated fence package that fixes multiple security issues, several bugs,
and adds two enhancements is now available for Red Hat Cluster Suite 4.
The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having low
security impact. Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base scores,
which give detailed severity ratings, are available for each vulnerability
from the CVE links in the References section.
2. Relevant releases/architectures:
Red Hat Cluster Suite 4AS - i386, ia64, ppc, x86_64
Red Hat Cluster Suite 4ES - i386, ia64, x86_64
Red Hat Cluster Suite 4WS - i386, ia64, x86_64
The fence package allows failed or unreachable nodes to be forcibly
restarted and removed from a cluster.
Insecure temporary file use flaws were found in fence_egenera, fence_apc,
and fence_apc_snmp. A local attacker could use these flaws to overwrite an
arbitrary file writable by the victim running those utilities via a
symbolic link attack. (CVE-2008-4192, CVE-2008-4579)
This update also fixes the following bugs:
* fence_apc_snmp now waits for five seconds after fencing to properly get
* The fence_drac5 help output now shows the proper commands. (BZ#498870)
* fence_scsi_test.pl now verifies that sg_persist is in the path before
* fence_drac5 is now more consistent with other agents and uses module_name
instead of modulename. (BZ#500546)
* fence_apc and fence_wti no longer fail with a pexpect exception.
* fence_wti no longer issues a traceback when an option is missing.
* fence_sanbox2 is now able to properly obtain the status after fencing.
* Fencing no longer fails if fence_wti is used without telnet. (BZ#510335)
* fence_scsi get_scsi_devices no longer hangs with various devices.
* fence_ilo no longer fails to reboot with ilo2 firmware 1.70. (BZ#545682)
* Fixed an issue with fence_ilo not rebooting in some implementations.
* fence_ilo no longer throws exceptions if the user does not have power
As well, this update adds the following enhancements:
* Support has been added for SSH-enabled RSA II fence devices. (BZ#476161)
* The APC fence agent will now work with a non-root account. (BZ#491643)
All fence users are advised to upgrade to this updated package, which
corrects these issues and adds these enhancements.
Before applying this update, make sure all previously-released errata
relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via the Red Hat Network. Details on how to
use the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
5. Bugs fixed (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/):
460476 - CVE-2008-4192 cman/fence: insecure temporary file usage in the egenera fence agent
467386 - CVE-2008-4579 cman/fence: insecure temporary file usage in the apc fence agents
491643 - APC Fence Agent does not work with non-admin account
494587 - fence_apc_snmp time wait
498870 - fence_drac5 help output shows incorrect usage
498983 - cluster product is affected by several symlink attack vulnerabilities
500172 - cman - fence_scsi_test.pl does not check for sg_persist in the path
500546 - fence_drac5 uses module_name instead of modulename
501890 - fence_apc fails with pexpect exception
504589 - fence agents (fence_apc, fence_wti) fails with pexpect exception
508268 - Fence agent for WTI ends with traceback when option is missing
510279 - fence_sanbox2 unable to retrieve status of fencing
545193 - fence_scsi get_scsi_devices() too slow, maybe hanging
545682 - fence_ilo fails to reboot, possibly timing problem with ilo2 1.70
576036 - ipmi fence failed
576178 - fence_ilo will throw exception if user does not have power priviledges
584133 - Can't build fence without removing -Wstrict-prototypes due to nss issue
6. Package List:
Red Hat Cluster Suite 4AS:
Red Hat Cluster Suite 4ES:
Red Hat Cluster Suite 4WS:
These packages are GPG signed by Red Hat for security. Our key and
details on how to verify the signature are available from
The Red Hat security contact is <email@example.com>. More contact
details at https://www.redhat.com/security/team/contact/
Copyright 2011 Red Hat, Inc.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.4 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----